As a green hotel in Washington, D.C., The Westin Georgetown is committed to place significant importance on operating in harmony with the environment, utilizing measures in which to preserve natural resources, and striving to continue to be an environmentally responsible venue. Below are the many initiatives we've implemented at our green hotel:
Eco-friendly features in our guest rooms:
- Evolve (energy management system) - key card based system that controls all of the devices in a guest room, including the HVAC, lighting and television. By inserting a key card a guest activates all of the devices in a room, when the key is removed all of the devices are deactivated. Therefore reducing our carbon footprint.
- Make a Green Choice - Guests have the option to decline housekeeping service for the day. For helping us conserve natural resources, we are happy to offer our guests a gift of 500 Starpoints to be awarded to their SPG account upon check-out or a $5 gift card for use at participating food and beverage outlets within our hotel.
- Low-flow shower heads
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Recycle containers in each guestroom
- Bamboo flooring in Presidential Suite's Parlor
- Refillable amenity dispensers in public spaces; only replace bottles if necessary
Clean the World
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. and Clean the World, a social enterprise committed to saving lives and protecting our planet, are engaged in a corporate agreement to collect and recycle hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions and gels to help fight the global spread of preventable diseases. An estimated 1.6 million pounds of hotel soap may be recycled each year through this partnership. This partnership symbolizes Starwood's commitment to environmental stability, the reduction of hotel waste, and the benefits of recycling an abundance of hotel soaps and bottled amenities (shampoos, conditioners, lotions and gels) as hygiene products to benefit children and families in need. Through this agreement with Clean the World, Starwood will help turn trash into treasure to save lives and improve the global environment
- Our sales and administrative team has moved to providing electronic and post-consumer products in order to significantly reduce our paper usage and our carbon footprint
- Electronic hotel and meeting space information such e-Proposals, e-Menus, online floor plans and capacity charts
- Reservation Connection: allows for meeting planners to submit an electronic copy of rooming lists via excel that are then uploaded directly in our system, never having to use a single sheet of paper.
- Electronic bills
- Recycling bins for paper, plastic and aluminum products
- Our Team uses at least 30% post-consumer recycled or Sustainable Forestry initiative products
- for documents that do need to be printed
- general office supplies such as copy paper, note pads and post-its
- Organic and/or locally grown food
- Self-sustainability: an organic roof-top garden
- Sustainable menu options
- Reduction of waste materials (i.e. providing cream pitchers in place of individual serve packets)
- Sustainable meeting set-ups: linen free buffet tables, glass/ceramic plates, drinking glasses, silverware, etc.
- Clutter-free Meetings - we are dedicated to doing our part to conserve resources and provide a comfortable and healthy meeting environment for your and your attendees. Double sided meeting pads, unwrapped mints and a reduction of other consumables in the meeting space goes a long way towards promoting a clean environment.
The Westin Georgetown is easily accessible by public transportation. We are located three blocks from the Metro, two blocks from major Metro/bus stops and within walking distance of Georgetown, downtown and the National Mall.
Envirocab (www.envirotaxicab.com) - the nation's first all-hybrid taxicab fleet comprised entirely of fuel-efficient, low-emission hybrid vehicles (Toyota Priuses, Camrys, Highlanders and Ford Escapes) guarantying passengers environmentally-friendly taxicab service at no additional cost (standard taxicab fares apply).
It feels good to conserve. Make A Green Choice.
To participate in the Make a Green Choice program please tell us at check-in or look for the doorhanger in your guestroom.
One Night Can Mean Significant Savings
49.2 gallons is 787 cups, enough for 1 person to drink 2 cups per day for a year.
That's enough to run an Energy Star-rated laptop for 10 hours.
Save Natural Gas
Enough energy to heat a 400 square foot room at 70 degrees for 4 hours- when its 10 degrees outside
Fewer chemicals equals less toxicity in the environment. And that's good for everyone.
*All amounts estimated based on average guestroom size and materials usage.